Thursday, January 8, 2009

Weaknesses



I am currently reading No Other Gods by Kelly Minter. I'm hoping it will help me make more room for God in my life. Today's lesson talked about 2 Corinthians 12. In verse 7-10, Paul says the following:

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

What a great attitude to have when God doesn't take away your troubles. Delight in weaknesses! I have a few weaknesses of my own, but I can't say that I 'delight' in them. I wish God would take them away! But after reading these verses, I realize that maybe they're there for a reason. I need to ask God to use my weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties to reveal His power. When I am weak, He can make me strong. When I think I can't do something, I need to ask God for strength. After all, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! (Philippians 4:13)
I want to encourage those of you who are going through a hard time, if it seems like God is not answering your prayers, maybe He has a reason. Talk to Him and try to hear what He has to say. Pray that He will give you strength and use your weaknesses or troubles to show His power!

I want to finish this by sharing this song, Casting Crowns - In Me:
"'Cause when I'm weak, You make me strong
When I'm blind you shine Your light on me
'Cause I'll never get by living on my own ability
How refreshing to know You don't need me
How amazing to find that You want me
So I'll stand on Your Truth, and I'll fight with Your Strength
Until You bring the victory, by the power of Christ in me."


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this post. It's exactly what I needed to read. I guess as the song says," some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

    ReplyDelete