Monday, January 26, 2009

This Little Light Of Mine...

The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
Proverbs 4:18

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16

I've been thinking about these Bible verses all week, wondering and asking God how I can let my light shine before others. I don't think of myself as a 'shining light' and I doubt others see me that way. And I can't say that most Christians I have met are shining lights either, they're just ordinary people. But every once in a while I'll meet someone who seems to truly shine. Just by looking at their faces and their lives, you can see the joy they have in the Lord. I want that too! So what can we do to become like that?

Last night I was reading chapter 6 from Max Lucado's book 'Just Like Jesus' and God gave me the answer I'd been looking for. "A vibrant, shining face is the mark of one who has stood in God's presence. After speaking to God, Moses had to cover his face with a veil (Exodus 34:33-35). After seeing heaven, Stephen's face glowed like that of an angel (Acts 6:15, 7:55-56)."

We don't try to change ourselves or try to be extra nice and happy. The only way to become a shining Christian, is to spend time with God! When we come before Him and worship Him, we will be transformed. He will change our faces to reflect His glory!

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18

You see how important it is to come before God and worship Him every day? Not just in church, but all the time, whenever we can! And if we do, He will make His light shine through us. And through that light, He will bring others to Him!

A song to help you worship Him right now:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Irma. Words, wisdom I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We all need to be reminded that others need to see Jesus in us! If we run around screaming at them to get saved, they'll never listen. But when they Jesus in our daily lives, they will notice Him. Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete