Saturday, January 10, 2009

Longing


As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? Psalm 42:1-2

As most of you know, I still nurse Gabriel to sleep. He usually wakes up twice during the night and always wants 'kilky', which is Gabriel-speak for 'milk' (don't ask!). Last night when he woke up and was desperately asking for 'kilkykilkykilkykilkykilkykilkykilky', Psalm 42 came to my mind. "As a deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." Initially it made me laugh inside, but then I started really thinking about that verse. I wish I could say that my soul always longs for God in the same way that a deer longs for water, or that Gabriel longs for 'kilky'. Sure, there are times when I can't wait to spend time with Him, times when my heart sings with His joy, times when I can't wait to see His face! But those are just moments, and then I fall back into 'daily life', with all it's distractions. In fact, even during my 'quiet time' with God, my thoughts wander and before I know it, I'm thinking about 10 other things. I'm such a mess!

Thank God that He gave His Only Son to save messes like me. You know what? God longs for us the same way that deer longs for water, or that Gabriel longs for 'kilky'. He desperately wants our full attention, He want us to spend time with Him, to love Him like a Father. Lord, please fill my heart with that same longing for you, every minute of the day!

What about you? Do you long for Him?

1 comment:

  1. When I come to your blog it's like a drink of water. I love how you reflect before the Lord. Blessings, and keep it up. Kathy

    ReplyDelete