Friday, January 2, 2009

Plans for the New Year

So we're at the beginning of a new year and I'm sure everyone has plans for this year, big or small. I thought I would share some of my plans for the year. It will be interesting to see at the end of the year which of these things actually happened. Because only One Person knows what will happen, and His plans are what's best for me! "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

My first plan for the year is to lose the 10 pounds I've gained in the past couple of months. So after the weekend there will be no more sweets and desserts, and more salads. Poor hubby will suffer from this too, but he needs to lose a few pounds himself...lol!
Also, I want to learn how to sew. I bought a really nice (used) sewing machine in November, but have no idea how to use it! I'm going to start with a couple of comforters for Gabriel's crib, I have the cutest fabrics picked out. One with a farm theme and one with tractors!
Next, this is going to be the year I WILL get my driver's license. After almost 4 years in Texas, I still can't drive and my bike won't take me very far here! Someone I know is a retired instructor and she has offered to give me lessons. So wish me luck!

At the end of June, Gabriel and I hope to fly to Holland for about 3 weeks to visit my family. The last time we saw my parents was on June 25 here in Texas. The last time I saw my brother, sisters and families was in November 2007. I miss them, so I can't wait to see them again! Especially the little ones, they are growing so fast! My youngest sister is expecting her second child around June 28, which is my other sister's 30th birthday. So it will be a wonderful time to go and visit them. Plus, the weather in Holland may actually be nice that time of year!

We also hope to save a lot of money this year, and buy more calves. We hope to buy a home in the next couple of years, so we need to have enough for a down payment. Wish us luck, because neither Cary nor I are very good at saving money ;-) It will be fun to finally be able to decorate a home! Cary decorated our home before I moved here and since we rent the place, we can't really change anything. I love decorating, and can't wait to have some more light and color in the house! Here are a couple of pictures of my old apartment in The Hague. See what I mean by light and color? Of course my taste has changed and I would probably go for more of a country look now. But definitely with more color than we have now, and some REAL plants!





Finally, my most important 'plan' for the new year is to grow closer to the Lord. Going to church and Bible study is definitely helping in this area, but I also need to work on my 'quiet time'. Is it legal to lock a 2-year-old in the closet? Just kidding!!!! But you see my point, quiet time with a toddler in the house doesn't really exist ;-) Please pray that God will find ways for me to come to Him!

Well that's all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading! So what are your plans for the New Year?

3 comments:

  1. I just love the apartment, Irma!

    I think this year, I want to lose weight, be a better student than I am now, read a book every weekend, and perhaps travel more. I would also like to be open to more experiences. Okay, I wrote a book.... Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:) I hate dieting too! I am just going to try my best and eat what I want--- just in moderation :) Moderation is key!

    I love your layout too! :) Great minds think alike !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comment, Irma :)

    Your old apartment is lovely! And I definitely want to lose some weight too, I'm aiming for 20lbs and have been doing great these past few days.

    Hope you'll reach all your goals :)

    ReplyDelete