Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year and a New Blog!

What better time to start a new blog than January 1st? I have our family blog, Cary, Irma & Gabriel in Texas, but this blog here will be about me, and what's on my mind. So who am I?
Well, my name is Irma, I was born on April 29, 1977 in The Netherlands, so that makes me 31, and Dutch. I'm married to Cary, who's a Texan, which is why I moved to Texas almost 4 years ago. He's 42, but don't tell him I told you! We have a wonderful 2-year old son named Gabriel, who was born at home on Sinterklaas 2006. For those of you who are not familiar with Sinterklaas, he's the original Santa Claus. We celebrate Sinterklaas in Holland on December 5th. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked here!

I am a Christian and love the LORD and want to live for Him. I come from a Reformed background (Gereformeerd Vrijgemaakt to be exact - try to pronounce that all you English speaking readers!), but I was recently baptized as an adult and am now a member of a small Baptist church, which I love!
We live in the country in a small house on 12 acres and have 2 horses, 13 calves (our 'savings account' as we call it), 2 monsters disguised as cute puppies and a bunch of chickens (btw, my motto is 'Chickens are pets, not food'. I mean it! They're too cute to be eaten and make wonderful, funny pets.)
If you want to know more about me, just keep reading my blog and you'll get to know me a little bit at a time!

Here's my favorite thing of today: oliebollen & appelflappen! Translation: oil balls and apple fritters. I swear the oil balls taste better than they sound!
They're a Dutch New Year's tradition and we usually eat them for several days, sometimes literally for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner, until we're sick of them! That's what you get for getting too many of them I guess ;-)
Anyway, I didn't make that many, so they're almost gone now. After celebrating New Year's Eve & Day without them for 4 years in a row, I decided to try and make them myself. I'm so glad I did! I have now come to realize that you just can't really celebrate the New Year without them. It just doesn't feel right! So I'll be making these every year from now on.

Finally I want to wish everyone a 'Gelukkig Nieuwjaar' (see if you can guess the meaning of that)!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Irma,

    This is Gina...your Texas friend on facebook! I love you blog. And your New Year's food looks amazing! Hope you have a wonderful new year! I'll be back to catch up on your blog soon! Sometime when you have a chance check out my blog... http://journalinggina.blogspot.com

    See ya!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll guess it means happy New Year! I hope you update this blog so I can stay caught up with your life. Those oliebollen & appelflappens look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Irma. I love your blog. Looks like you had a yummy New Years Day :) I wish you all the love and happiness in 2009.
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh just thinking about oliebollen makes my tummy rumble! I don't think you are proper Dutch unless you like oliebollen *g*

    Oooh.. I think I might be spending a lot of time here.. Kenny Chesney singing 'She Thinks My Tractor' Sexy' <3

    You made the oliebollen from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops I just complimented Lacey on the good music on her blog, but when I closed her blog I still heard the music and I realised it came from yours! I'll say it again I love the music on your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I made the oliebollen from scratch. They tasted pretty good, especially after a day or two!

    I'm glad you like the music, I have my playlist on shuffle, so there will be a different song playing every time you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like I said on your other blog, those oliebollen look exactly like our "sonhos" which is basically fried dough! We then cover them in sugar and cinnamon, they're great!

    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete