Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Home is where the heart is


As I was brushing my teeth last night, I looked through the bathroom and thought of all the things I'd like to change in there. In fact, I'd love to redecorate our whole house and make it perfect! But the problem is, we rent our home and do now know how much longer we'll be here. It would be a waste of time, energy and money because we can't take it with us when we buy a 'permanent' home.

Suddenly God put one of those thoughts in my head again: I need to feel the same way about my life on earth. I don't know how much longer I'll be here. Yet I try to 'decorate' my life - with a nice home, nice clothes, nice trucks, good food, pretty things - until it's perfect. But it's a waste of time, energy and money, because we can't take it with us when we leave this earth. It's as silly as a child building a castle in the sand, thinking it's going to be there forever. At any moment I could leave this temporary home and move to my permanent home with the Lord. And no earthly home, no matter how nice, can measure up to the home Jesus is preparing for us!

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
(Matthew 6:19-21)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this message...a perfect analogy. Funny--I always look around my house and do the exact same thing!!!and it usually starts in the bathroom...I guess cause I'm (most of the time) alone in there and have a minute to think, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really struggling with this. I read chapter 6 of "The Purpose Driven Life" and it says pretty much the same as you do, but I find it very difficult to live up to. Aren't we meant to enjoy our life her on earth? I know what you mean but I just.. I guess I love feeling at home being happy with my home, enjoying it. I know that it is for the time that we are on earth, but there is nothing wrong with that is there? Oh I don't know! Like I said before I'm really strggling with this subject.

    In the book the question to consider is 'How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?'. I've been pondering this question for a few days now and I was wonedring what your answer is :o)

    Goodness I'm terribly confused. Beautiful message though (and sorry about all my rambling)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course we are allowed to enjoy life, but we are not 'meant to' enjoy life. We are meant to serve God, that's what gives our life true meaning and purpose. It's alright to have a nice home etc., as long as it's not the most important thing in your life.

    As for the question, my answer would be: to focus on God's assignment, and do what He wants me to do. To try and serve Him and bring others to Him. And that means not worrying about our home, the bills, the animals etc. If I serve the Lord with all my heart, He will take care of the rest.

    I'm not saying that's what I do though. But I try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete