Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Poverty & Wealth

Watch this video from Compassion International about 'The Lie of Poverty"


I was thinking about this and it suddenly occurred to me that there is also 'The Lie of Wealth'. Most of us who read this are very wealthy compared to the children sponsored through Compassion. Yet we tell ourselves that we're not. We look at the things we don't have, the things we would like to have, the things we think we need. But it's all a lie! We don't really need new clothes every season. We don't really need to go out to eat every week. We don't really need that new TV or car. Yet we tell ourselves that we do, and we tell ourselves that we can barely pay our bills. Surely you don't expect me to sponsor a child when I'm not sure if I'll be able to pay my bills this month?

But instead of looking for reasons why you can't sponsor a child, try to look for ways you can save money so you can! Maybe instead of going out to eat twice a week, you can go once a week? Maybe instead of buying new clothes this Spring, you can buy used clothes, or check again if last year's clothes are really that bad? Or try this: have a special piggy bank or box and every day for 1 month put 1 dollar in that box. At the end of the month, see if you really missed that money. I bet you won't! And then think about what that dollar a day could do for a child whose family's total income is only a dollar a day!

Did you know that 12 children die from hunger every minute? I came across this video yesterday and could barely stand to watch it. Tears were streaming down my face. It is shocking to think that things like this happen in our world every day.

Shocking, isn't it? It made me feel so guilty sitting here in my nice home, with nice clothes and too much food. It made me want to do something to help those poor children. We will be sponsoring a second child soon, but it still feels like so little. I wonder in what shape Compassion's sponsor children were before they started receiving help. Most of the children look nice now in their profile pictures, but don't forget that they were not always like that, and that they often dress up in their nicest clothes for those pictures. They are poorer than we could ever imagine and they need our help, your help! So won't you help to give a child a hope and a future?


Some Bible verses about helping the poor:
Proverbs 11:24-25
One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Matthew 25:31-46
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' (vs 35-36, but I encourage you to click on the link and read the whole passage.)

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Note the last verse. I am not trying to judge anyone or make anyone feel guilty. I don't want to force anyone into feeling like they have to sponsor a child. But I do want you to wake up, think about it and not let yourself make up excuses too easily. Don't listen to Satan's lies when he tells you that you don't have the money, when deep down in your heart you know that you do. I promise you, once you start sponsoring a child, it will make you cheerful! It is wonderful to send and receive letters and pray for that child, knowing you are making a small difference in the world, and a huge difference in that child's life!

4 comments:

  1. Irma,

    This was a beautiful post. I remember how great I felt when I used to sponsor little Linda. I hope to be able to sponsor a child again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. It's a great reminder to us all about how blessed we are and how we all need to do our part to be the hands and feet of Jesus around the world and across the street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Just passin thru'
    Loved your pics found your site on Liselles.....
    You can see more about me and pics of our house and garde on my other site which sadly I can't access @ the library so can only check now and again! At last some sun here in the uk....
    I lived in the US for 6 yrs and still miss it.... But we move on I guess...
    Have also visited Holland when my older girl was just 2
    Blessings...
    and Remember His name is also LOVE.....
    Freye(sunny0

    ReplyDelete
  4. My other site is
    www.xanga.com/freye

    ReplyDelete