Friday, February 27, 2009

Country Alphabet - C

Yay, it's Show & Tell Friday again! Part 3 of the Country Alphabet this week.
Show and Tell

C is for...Chickens & Cows

Chickens are my hobby and I love to raise them. We love the fresh eggs and the chickens themselves are very funny pets. Here is a picture of me and my pet rooster Buddy, who after 4 years still thinks I'm his mommy.

Beautiful Buddy

Baby chicks are just too cute! I can't wait for Spring so we can get some! These we bought at a feed store a couple of years ago, but this year we may try to hatch our own.

This mama hen managed to sneak off and hide for 3 weeks and one day came back with this adorable little chick...

This is a chick hatching in our kitchen back in May 2007. One night after Cary had just gone to bed, I swear I heard something go 'peep, peep, peep'. I searched everywhere and finally figured out where it came from: from inside an egg in the coffee can that I used earlier that day to collect the eggs in. Normally I would have put them in the fridge, but for some reason that day I didn't.
We put the egg with chick in a box under a heat lamp, and the next morning it hatched while we watched. It was amazing to watch! I named this little hen Lucky, because she really was!

Here is Lucky on her 1st birdday, enjoying some cake.

This is my crazy hen, she will peck at everyone's clothes!

6 in a row...

BBQ chicken

Of course Gabriel loves to play with the chickens!

Since October we also have cows. We currently have 16 calves. They are very cute and very silly!




Our most recent addition to the cow family, 4 bottle calves that we got this week.


Sorry for the picture overload, but there were just too many to choose from!

10 comments:

  1. You know how I feel about cows and chickens <3 These are beautiful pictures. Buddy is adorable as usual, and Lucky..really was lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the pictures of your chickens and cows and calves. The barbeque chicken picture is funny and Buddy is cute! My parents used to raise chickens, and my Mother would sell the eggs for extra spending money. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh... my girls name everything... our animals, friends animals, animals that we pass on the side of the road... So if we ever have chickens(which I really want)... they will never become BBQ chickens because they have been named ;o).... loved the BBQ chicken pic BTW, made me smile.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have chickens too...and, they also all had names...I miss them.

    Your farm looks like a nice place to live.

    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What memories you have brought back to me. As a young girl we also raised chickens and made pets out of them, much to my fathers dismay. The chickens were suppose to be food for us.

    I very much enjoyed your post and thank you for the fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your Show & Tell VERY much and especially all the pictures. Pure joy radiated from your post :o)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh! I wish I lived close enough to come take some photos of your animals :O). I love your chicken on the table eating cake! What a funny thing! Your calves are beautiful and I know your son must love living in the country with all his pets! Thanks for sharing all your pictures! I really enjoyed seeing them all.

    There is always room in The Shadow of the Cross. Feel free to drop in anytime :O).

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're all so adorable :) And you look great, Irma!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your chickens and cows. My mother was a farm girl growing up. Her dad used to drive a truck that picked up the huge milk cans from farmers. We always lived in the city but I loved the big county fairs and you could usually find me around the animals. The barns are my favorite place. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete