Friday, February 6, 2009

Irma's Stuffed Bell Peppers

I came up with a new recipe for stuffed bell peppers yesterday. I was planning on making my usual stuffed bell peppers with ground beef, onions, mushrooms and tomato sauce, but I was all out of mushrooms and tomato sauce! So I had to improvise/experiment a little and the result was really good! Here's a picture, the recipe follows below.

Irma's Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients (for 2 or 3 people):
  • 3 medium size bell peppers
  • 1 lbs ground beef
  • 2 thick strips of bacon
  • 4 green onions
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • seasoning salt and/or salt & pepper
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
  • Fill a large pot with about 4 inches of water and bring it to a boil.
  • Brown the ground beef in medium size skillet. Add seasoning salt and/or salt & pepper to taste.
  • In another skillet, cook the bacon strips until brown.
  • In the mean time, cut the bell peppers in half (lengthwise) and remove the stem and seeds.
  • When the water comes to a boil, cook the bell pepper halves for about 5-10 minutes (depending on desired softness).
  • Chop the green onions and mix them with the ground beef. Cook for about 10 minutes on low heat while stirring occasionally.
  • Cut the cream cheese into large pieces and throw them in with the beef. Slowly let the cheese melt and stir it in.
  • Break the bacon strips into small pieces and stir them into the beef and cream cheese mixture.
  • Put the bell pepper halves in a 9x13 inch baking dish and scoop beef and cream cheese mixture into the peppers.
  • Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
  • Enjoy!
Can be served on a bed of rice but I didn't because 3 bell pepper halves was definitely enough!

5 comments:

  1. Looks good. I use to make those for my husband and me! But...need I say anymore than the kids arrived? But I think your recipe looks like something they might enjoy. Thanks for the pictures also. I love to see what the end product looks like! I'm handing out awards tomorrow, so please stop by and pick yours up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so tasty. I am not sure if you've tried it but around here we use rice in ours as well :) It's very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I had stuffed bell peppers, they had rice in them. But I like it better with the rice on the side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I'll have to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a very similar recipe to this but I don't cook the bell peppers at all beforehand so that they are still somewhat firm when they're done. Hubby eats them better that way. :) Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete