Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hungry for God

This morning in church we sang 'Breathe' by Michael W. Smith. Here are some of the lyrics:

This is the air I breathe
this is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me

this is my daily bread
this is my daily bread
Your very word spoken to me

And I, I'm desperate for you
And I, I'm I'm lost without you

It's one of my favorite songs and I love singing it. But...it made me wonder, do I really mean the words I'm singing? Is God's holy presence like the air I breathe? Is his word my daily bread? Would I not be able to live without Him, or would I just go on with my daily life if He suddenly disappeared? Would I not really miss Him?

What about you? Would you really not be able to live without Him, would you be lost? Or would you not really miss Him and go on with life as usual? Would it make a difference? Or would you be so busy with your daily schedule of (house)work, school, family and running errands that you would not have much time to realize God wasn't there?

If you had to go a day without bread, or a day without God, which would you choose?
If you answered a day without bread, I want to challenge you to join me in a 'Hungry for God' day on April 1st. One day where we all fast together from morning until evening*. And every time we feel hungry, we will think about God and how lucky we are that we don't have to live a day without Him!

Will you join me? If so, then please leave a comment or send me an e-mail to let me know you are joining me on this day. Tell your family and friends about it. Share it on your blog. Show the world and God that you are hungry for Him!

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (John 6:35)



*This will be a liquids-only fast for me, since I still nurse a little one, I have to have my fluids!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words! I know God uses you as a faithful vessel.
    My class at school sponsors a child in Nicaragua...His name is Henry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know if you are aware of the "True"Fasting -- It is in Isaiah 58
    I myself feel that starving is not what God wants -- He wants us to help each other -- Feed those in need - Clothe those in need-- Listen when there is someone in need. That is just what I believe. Health reasons I do not believe in not eating it is not healthy.
    God be with you in this Holy Season! God Bless! Karyl(Carol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karyl - I think Isaiah 58 describes how fasting is wrong when you do it to get something from God and at the same time don't follow His ways. But that is not why I plan on fasting for a day. I plan on fasting for a day to make myself realize how wonderful it is to have a God who is always there for me. I plan on using it as a day of prayer, meditation and getting closer to the Lord. I believe the Bible is full of references why fasting is something that can bring us closer to the Lord! :-)
    And in my case a day of fasting (liquids only) will be good for me - I need to lose a few more pounds anyway! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irma-
    Guess my fasting is wrong then-- Guess that when in Illinois CAT starts letting people go from jobs and others lose jobs and the food pantrys need food and the homeless shelters are needing clothes that this should be my fasting this year. Giving up food only takes your energy and then what good are we to others. Our country is in very poor shape-- at least in Illinois. God help us all if we do not pull together at this time. Sincerely- Karyl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should ALWAYS examine our heart as closely as we should also examine the lyrics we sing. I pray we will never be left without that challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karyl - I didn't say that your fasting is wrong, but neither is traditional fasting. Why else would Jesus, John, Daniel, Hannah, David, Paul and others in the Bible have fasted?
    What I understand from Isaiah 58 is that fasting without helping others, just to get something from God is wrong. One day of fasting is not going to stop me from helping other when I can. And it's wonderful that you're helping others!

    Kathy - of course, you are right! We should examine our hearts every day. But in the reality of every day life, we have so many distractions, that sometimes using a 'tool' like fasting can help us to grow closer to God. I'm hoping it will help recharge my 'spiritual battery', just like church and Bible study do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irma-
    God Bless you at this Holy Season-- I can tell you are dutch and I have some Dutch and Scottish-Irish in me -- as we are both very spiritually set in our thinking.:o) I think we both are basically saying the same thing we just approach it differently. I just know that from Strongs Concordance and Bible commentary tells that there are meanings in the text -- I do not understand all the meanings as there are many. In a book on the meanings it just has that fasting is an opportunity to show love to your neighbor, the sabbath should express our love of God. It will mean self-forgetfulness and the self-discipline of rising above the trivial. And that is the last I am saying on fasting! We strong willed people could debate but I think we are meaning basically the same thing! Happy Easter to you and your family Irma! GodBless! Karyl

    ReplyDelete