Monday, September 5, 2011

Weight

I am happy to report that after 2 weeks on my new diet, I have lost about 8 pounds. I now weigh 150 lbs (68 kg), which has been my goal weight for years! I always seemed to get stuck around 153, but now I've finally done it. Of course the main reason for losing weight is not just the diet itself, but also having trouble coming up with things I can eat! Which is why I'm getting the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, which was written by the president of the Weston A. Price foundation. I can't wait to start experimenting with new recipes!
We are also planning on joining a raw milk co-op in the area. Which means we take turns with other families getting our raw milk from a local farm. The milk is only $2 .50 a gallon! Right now, we're paying $8 a gallon. So this is great considering that with our new diet, we're going to need 4 gallons a week instead of the 2 we've been getting. I am going to use about 1 gallon of the milk to make yogurt, cream cheese, whey and kefir. For my Dutch readers: 1 gallon is almost 4 liters. We drink a LOT of milk!

We have been getting raw milk cheese and spouted grain bread from our health store the past couple of weeks. I find it interesting that they taste so much like Dutch cheese and bread! It's obvious most Dutch people eat healthier than most Americans (Holland has a 10% obesity rate, in the U.S. it's 30%). I think a lot of that has to do with the Dutch habit of eating simple, homemade meals, lots of dairy products and smaller portions. Also, eating out is very expensive over there, so it's something they only do on special occasions. No fast food on every street corner or pigging out at an all-you-can-eat buffet for under $10! No wonder that one of the first things I always notice when I go back, is how thin the people are!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Irma!
    I am curious after reading your blog about our American ways... What is it like for Dutch women? Here in America from my sisters perspective as I am not married the American woman is expected to hold down a full time job, keep house, and raise the children. Therefore, the mealtime becomes whatever is fast & convenient as the women are tired. Could you share if we are similar in this respect or what the Dutch women are expected of them when married?
    Enjoy seeing your take on our culture!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    some Dutch women work full time after they have kids, but from what I've seen, most women either work part-time, or stay at home. The Dutch lifestyle seems to be simpler/cheaper, Americans are definitely more pressured by society to have a nice home, 2 cars, and other expensive things. Also, Holland has better social arrangements that make it easier for a mother to work part time and actually have some extra money to bring home. Also, work hours, even when working full time are usually shorter and their commute is often less as well.
    I don't think there's a certain expectation of women there, just whatever works for their family! :)

    ReplyDelete