Monday, September 5, 2011

Taming the Tongue

No, this is not about eating or dieting!
Have you ever tried to find a Bible verse to show someone else how wrong they are? And instead have God point out how wrong you are? Well it sure happened to me the other day when I read James 1:26-27.

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. 

See, I'm working on the second part. But I fail miserably on the first part. No matter how many Meals on Wheels I deliver, or how many bad TV shows I don't watch, it's worthless when I can't keep my tongue under control! I am ashamed at some of the things that come out of my mouth sometimes. God, please help me to say only things that honor You and those around me! More in James 3:2-10.

 A few more verses:
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.
(Proverbs 12:18,19)
Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.
(Psalm 34:12,13)
The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just.
The law of his God is in his heart; his feet do not slip.
(Psalm 37:30,31)
He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
(Proverbs 13:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment