Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scary!

Last weekend we had one of the scariest nights of our lives. Saturday night after going to bed, Gabriel developed a fever. We had not noticed anything wrong with him all day, and I didn't think it was anything serious, he's had fevers before. Well this time it was different. After a couple of hours, it must have been close to 1pm, Gabriel had a seizure. Apparently it is pretty common for young children to have fever-related seizures, but when it happens to your own child, it is the scariest thing ever! The seizure lasted only a few minutes, but afterwards he was limp and did not respond to us. So we raced him to the hospital, the whole time thinking he might die or something! It was so awful! All I could do was pray over and over again, "God, please let him be alright!"

After we got to the hospital, he slowly started to come back and became more and more responsive. Of course he cried as he was poked with needles etc. As it turned out, he has an ear infection, which is what caused the sudden high fever. He has never had an ear infection before that I know of, and had shown no signs of having one. So they prescribed antibiotics and Tylenol. By the time we went back home (around 3am), Gabriel was counting the stars in the sky, almost back to his old self. We are so thankful that he is okay! He brings so much joy to our life and we love him so much!

Of course it made me think about what God must have felt like when His only Son was dying on the cross. Knowing He could have stopped it, but He chose to sacrifice His precious son Jesus so that we could live!

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

I have to say that the whole thing really shocked me, and makes me cherish every moment with Gabriel even more than usual. But it also made me worry more than usual. But then last night during our Esther Bible study, Beth Moore's message was about fear. And it made me realize that with any fear, I need to keep asking myself, if this happens, then what? And eventually the answer is always God. No matter what happens, God will always take care of us!

Here is a video of Gabriel dancing to Hee Haw on Sunday evening. As you can see, he's back to his old self!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that Gabriel is okay. That must have been so scary. I am sending big hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so shocked when I read about Gabriel. I am so glad that he is okay! Lots of love!

    I may not be very religious, but I did like the messages of the Lord that you posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video of Gabriel is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no!So sorry that had to happen, but as you know--God has a purpose for everything. I am learning that He uses our kids to teach us alot...He knows He can really get our attention that way. Hope Gabriel is doing well now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute video. We have the most wonderful memories of the same with our first one especially. Enjoy!!!! You won't regret it for a second. So glad he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete